Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Not bad but nearly a mess.

To cast this I ran the crucible quite full. With the last aluminium ingot floating in the melt, it was about 8 mm to the top. Of course as this melted, and the rest of the melt got hotter, the crucible ended up pretty much brim full - stuff expands when you heat it up - who knew?. That makes for a touchy time pouring it. Spilling liquid aluminium is probably a bad way to end the evening.

Here is the pattern with the casting, I've cut off the feed gate, and filed down the flashing around the edge.
Here is a closer shot. For a sand casting the finish is pretty good.


A simple hardface for a furnace.

It's a flu liner for a stove. It's petty much the same material as dense fire brick. I've used a slightly longer one for my new gas fired furnace.

It sits on a packed sand base, it has Ceramic wool around it, and the lid is fire cement and perlite.

It's survived a few melts at this point. It has quite a few cracks. But it was free so it's a win.

Friday, May 17, 2013

My first Thin Ceramic Shell Lost Wax

It turned out pretty well for a first attempt.

There was some charcoal in the pour. And I have what looks like bubbling along in patches.

But there's lots of really great detail. I'm moving up to Propane next, less charcoal, less ash.
I think the finger tips may have been ruined by charcoal ash getting into the ceramic mold while I baked it.

Ps. Thanks Ben.



Posted by Picasa

Monday, April 22, 2013

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

It's turtles all the way down !

I've moved up from aluminium to bronze.

I started by making a stand for the crucible. That way it stays upright when the charcoal burns. Makes life easier.

I also prepared a bucket of charcoal broken into small lumps, about 2cm on the longest side. They would be easier to load, and burn fast and hot.

I had a lot of fun putting charcoal into the furnace without getting it into the crucible on the Al melts, so I made a sheet metal cone with a handle. I simply covered the crucible and shovelled in the charcoal. Less time with the furnace open.

And I kept it topped up. Once the furnace calmed down from a raging fury, I added more fuel.

It still took a long time to melt the bronze, but the turtle turned out pretty well for my first bronze case, and my second sand cast of anything.

A little tidying up to remove the flashing (I need more practice at making the sand molds) and a little cleaning up with a buffing wheel and this guy's a keeper.
Posted by Picasa

Thursday, April 4, 2013

That looks HOT

Charcoal and a blast of air from the output of a small shop vac.

They cleaned up ok

A little time with a belt sander, and a flap wheel and now they look presentable.

They were just a learning exercise, so I won't be going through the grits to make them look pretty.

I had on charcoal inclusion. I need a better skimmer than a piece of plywood.
Posted by Picasa